Welcome to SVTC
Southside Virginia Training Centerís primary mission is to provide quality, person-centered health and habilitation services for eligible individuals with intellectual disabilities from Health Planning Region IV.
In addition, the center provides administrative and environment of care services to other facilities on the Southside Campus, which includes Central State Hospital, and Hiram W. Davis Medical Center.
In pursuing the person-centered approach, staff from various disciplines work as a team with the individual and his/her authorized representative to address the individual's needs, goals, choices and preferences.
We shall endeavor to support the individuals at SVTC in reaching their maximum potential by focusing on their strengths as opposed to their disabilities. We can achieve this by utilizing each individual's mental, physical and social skills in helping to support them in their daily lives. We shall constantly strive to ensure that the individuals we support have the life that they want. We strive to support their independence by:
- Encouraging choice making;
- Enabling individuals to be productive in their lives and works;
- Enabling individuals to develop a healthy sense of self;
- Respecting individuals' likes and dislikes;
- Ensuring environments are barrier-free;
- Ensuring individuals have privacy and confidentiality; and
- Enabling individuals to develop personal relationships.
Please visit the Central Office website of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services for more information about the entire department.